Allerton Grange Fields off Talbot Avenue in North Leeds is
playing host to junior rugby players from The Roundhegians Rugby Football Club
The Roundhegians RFC was founded in 1928 and has been based
at The Memorial Ground on nearby Chelwood Drive since 1953. The site was
developed from derelict land to commemorate 88 former pupils of
Roundhay School who gave their lives on active service during World War II. The
club is now a registered Community Amateur Sports Club
The Roundhegians Rugby Football Club will be using Allerton
Grange Fields for junior rugby and fitness training every Sunday between
10:15am and 11:45am during the forthcoming rugby season.
Stafford Smart, Chairman of The Roundhegians Rugby Club,
commented: "Although we have an attractive 8-acre site, there is only
space for two pitches. We now have almost 300 junior players across the
age-range from u6 to u18, so we are desperately short of playing space.
The partnership-agreement with the Friends of Allerton Grange Fields, local Councillors
and Officers of Leeds City Council's Parks and Countryside Department has given
us the reassurance we needed to be confident of sustaining the considerable
contribution the club makes to the development of amateur sport in the local
"We are absolutely delighted to see The Roundhegians
RFC use the sports pitches at Allerton Grange Fields" said Bhupinder Dev,
Chair of Allerton Grange Fields. "It will be great to see so many
young rugby players train on the pitches in the run up to the Rugby World Cup,
which promises to be the biggest sporting event in 2015".